Saturday, May 28, 2011

Of Renos, Weddings and Other Things

We are well into the renos now. One more coat of paint and the en-suite will only need the shower screens installed and they are already ordered. A couple of week's wait and we'll be done there and on to the next set - bathroom, laundry and kitchen. It's an interesting experience, this renovating. People keep asking for minor decisions about things that I haven't really thought about which means there's a lot of'I hope I got that right' going on. So far there's nothing that hasn't been easily fixable but I'm always a little nervous.

We might be progressing on the bathroom front but my foot and knee surgery is still to come - at the end of the week- and the prospect of negotiating a messy house (there are rooms full of items that have been ousted from their usual homes so the work can keep progressing) on crutches is rather daunting. A friend of Virgo's called in this morning and poked her head in the bedroom door as she went past saying 'Still a construction site, I see'. The living room may not be a construction site but but it looks like one of those hoarder's houses you see on television with the contents of the bedroom and en-suite piled in there. The dining room is no better. Pisces is going to have to do all the organisation for the rest of the work. He's not enjoying the prospect but things have to keep moving or we'll be living in this state forever.

Then there's the back veranda. Half of it is bare and the other half is crammed. This is courtesy of Virgo's pup who we've been puppy sitting until today. She is recovering from surgery which requires a large plastic cone around her head and that she does not run around. The only way to ensure this was to keep her tied up and the veranda was the only place suitably sheltered.

At the same time plans are underway for the two weddings coming up in the next eight months. There have been visits to bridal shops looking for wedding dresses, bridesmaid's dresses, mother of the bride outfits etc. I admit I heaved a sigh of relief when Virgo took a quick look at the mother of the bride outfits in several places, shook her head and announced 'You're not going to wear anything like that.' I'm afraid I'm not the standard mother of the bride type and so nothing I saw in the bridal shops was ever going to work for me. Sagittarius is having a casual wedding and, as the groom's mother, that choice was much easier. My outfit for that is already hanging in the wardrobe since I won't be able to even think about going clothes shopping for the next three months. I love it when I have an excuse not to go clothes shopping.

Not much writing happening, did you say? Well, that has been the case for the last few weeks but once I'm recovering and very limited as to what I can do that will all change. The freezer is full of ready prepared meals and the itch to write is there. I intend to indulge myself to the full.

4 comments:

Satima Flavell said...

Yay - Hope the renos continue in an orderly fashion. I don't like the idea of your being laid up while the work continues though. Oh well, at least you'll be able to use the ensuite. Maybe you can put a jug, a toaster and a microwave in there!

Helen V. said...

Thanks, Satima. It's certainly going to be interesting.

Rosanne Dingli said...

I think I'm going to have to keep my mosiaic tiles until... well, they ARE almost back in fashion.

Very brave lady, you - all these events and surgery to the bargain. I could not do all that in the same year.

Helen V. said...

I'm not sure about brave, Rosanne, more a glutton for punishment I suspect.