Sunday, July 24, 2011

Oh Norway.

I've been trying to think of how to write this post but this is the best I can manage. This crime is so monstrous I find it hard to believe it could have happened. In some ways it resonates even more with me because last September I visited Port Arthur in Tasmania. This is a chilling place to visit for several reasons. The first is its history as a penal settlement of terrible barbarity. The second is because this is where Martin Bryant killed 35 people and injured 21 others in a shooting spree in 1996. I can still remember the sick feeling in the pit of my stomach as that horror unfolded. This is so much worse.

My heart reaches out to all the people of Norway. I wish I could do something to ease your pain.

2 comments:

Satima Flavell said...

Yes, utterly, dreadfully horrible. It reminded me at once of Port Arthur.

Helen V. said...

The worst part is that there's nothing that can be done to stop this happening again.